We acknowledge that all members of our community including children, families and teachers have rights and all interactions require respect. Trust underpins all positive relationships and is an integral part of the relationships that are fostered at Campus Kindergarten. The notion of compassion is an enabling word that helps us understand, show empathy and transform. All of these values working together provide a rich environment for nurturing strong relationships and friendships, which are the cornerstone of quality early childhood education and care.
The teaching team is committed to a philosophy and approach that encompasses:
- A respectful image of each child who is competent and capable,
- The rights of children, parents and teachers,
- Education for meaning and understanding (holistic),
- Value human dignity, participation and freedom,
- Developing and supporting social skills to enhance communication,
- Valuing discussion and debate where it fosters enquiry, theorising and problem solving,
- Learning the intrinsic values of each individual and each culture in order to make these values extrinsic, visible, conscious and sharable,
- The child’s role in constructing knowledge through exploration and relationship,
- The role of the teacher as co-researcher and co-constructor in the learning process,
- The documentation of learning experiences, revealing potentials that often go unrecognised. The concept of making learning visible (a process of telling important stories),
- The importance of the school environment as a source of well-being and an educational force,
- The use of a wide range of media and materials to foster self-expression, learning and communication (the ‘Hundred Languages’),
- The value of differences (individuals, gender, race, culture, religion) the value of equality,
- The value of participation, or, participation as a value,
- The value of collaboration among all participants in an educational system,
- The interrelationship and reciprocal influences of children, parents and teachers,
- The relationship between the centre and the community,
- The enhancement of lives of children through educational-social systems,
- The value of play, of fun, of emotions, of feelings,
The value of research to inform decision making and practice.
What do the teachers strive to help the children do?